Sunday, August 28, 2011

What are my chances of getting into U Penn College of Arts and Sciences

What are my chances of getting into U Penn College of Arts and Sciences?
I want to go to U Penn to study math. I moved from China to Canada two years ago, so U Penn is need-blind to my application, but I still need to take TOEFL SAT: 2100 (I took it again yesterday. I guess I'll get 2150) SAT II: Math Level II 800, Physics 800 and Chemistry 800 TOEFL iBT: 109 Rank: about 5/400 EC(not very good): Tutored a total of three students in math in Grade 10 and 11 Volunteered at many local organizations (like nursing home, soccer club, library etc) for a total of 300 hours Math Club member (Grade 10 to 12) Trivia Club member (Grade 11 to 12) Free the Children Committee(a committee helping children in Africa) member (Grade 12) Student Council member (Grade 9 to 10) Participated in Shad Valley(a prestigious science+entrepreneurship camp in Canada) Participated in the International Mathematics Tournament of Towns Summer Conference in Russia (I was one of the three students from Canada) Awards: I got the first place in Canada in a not very important math contest (Hypatia Contest) Third place in Canada in a online math contest (Math@Mac Online Competition) Eighth in Canada in a chemistry contest (Avogadro Examination) I took the AMC 10 and AIME in China in Grade 8 and got 9 out of 15 on AIME. I was invited to USAMO but couldn't participate. My school said that that year, only 23 students across the world in Grade 8 were invited to USAMO. I am wondering if my exam scores and EC are too bad for Penn. Also, will my achievement in the math contests increase my chances (since I want to study math)? GPA: Grade 9 and first half of Grade 10(in China): 96/100 Second half of Grade 10 and Grade 11(in Canada): 93/100 I don't know what my GPA is on a 4.0 scale. Also, I'm taking IB at my school, and it's the most challenging program available(we have no APs).
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You should state your GPA or your grades if you want an accurate answer.
2 :
its a crapshoot. itll depend on your essay and recs. My cousin was #3 in her class at a very prestigious suburban high school in NY and had similar test scores as you and got rejected from UPenn, UCLA, USC, Washington & Lee and Tufts. It's extremely competitive to get into ivys, liberal arts or california schools. She's at Michigan now, which is a great school but not as competitive as the rest. Go for UPenn but apply to some of the following as backups (they are excellent programs that'll get you $$$ but are less competitive because of their massive size): Michigan University of Texas University of Wisconsin Penn State University Georgia Tech (prob the best public school next to Cal in my opinion - although USNews usually puts UVA, Michigan and UNC above them) U of Pittsburgh, Purdue, Illinois, University of Washington, Texas A&M - (great if youre sure about math/sci/engr) GUARENTEED ADMISSION WITH SCHOLARSHIP (for your stats): LSU University of Colorado NC State Florida State


 Read more discussion :