Saturday, August 7, 2010

Which major should I pick- Internationl Studies or Registered Nursing

Which major should I pick- Internationl Studies or Registered Nursing?
I've been interested in east Asia for years. It started in 8th grade and progressed over the years into the music, culture, movies, fashion, etc of Japan, China, and South Korea. I am now 18 going on 19 so it's been a while and it isn't just a fleeting thing. Since I was a child I've wanted to be a nurse. Even now I enjoy cleaning/dressing wounds. I wonder if I want to major in International Studies with a minor in Asian Studies. I want to teach English in Asia for a 1+ years after I get my Bachelor's (the degree can be any subject). Then I'd like to maybe get my Master's and teach Asian history/culture at the uni level here in America. If I became a RN, would that 1+ years away affect my remembrance/skills as a nurse? Would I have to do self-study during that time? I'd like to travel, how is vacation time for RNs? What is the market for a prof. of Asian studies here? Does it depend on where you live? Also, what other careers would a Intl. Studies major be good for?
Higher Education (University +) - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
RN. You will never be without work, anywhere in the US. International studies would be a major that would be very "location" limited. It prob wouldn't get you a teaching job in the US, but I suppose I could be wrong. If you are bilingual You'd prob have a better chance.
2 :
registered nurse...all the way! u have no idea how much it will pay off i am only a sophmore in high school but i am doing rop medical assisting classes so i can become a rn. the benifits are incredible..job opertunities are only going to increase, and the salary pays better than most jobs. aslo u get the fufullment of helping others !!
3 :
Start with taking a little bit of both. Take the intro classes for bio or chemistry and the intro classes for a language. If you think that you are more cut out for one or the other, than stick with that one. If you feel comfortable in both, you might wan to go for nursing, and then get either a double major or minor in a language. You would be much more marketable if you were a nurse who could speak to Asian immigrants. You could also work with doctors without borders, or the Red Cross in Asia. Rural China is in desperate need for well-trained medical staff, so you would definitely be an asset.



 Read more discussion :