Thursday, April 14, 2011

Can a teacher "disrespect" a student

Can a teacher "disrespect" a student?
I'm a senior. I'm in a nursing/allied health program in HIGH SCHOOL. Meaning that the students taking it are only doing it for the experience, not because they want to be a nurse. There's only 30 allowed in the program but today there's only 29 because one dropped out. And a lot of us do not want to stay in the program but we are obligated to because we've wasted two years just to get to a program where we no longer get respect. I have two problems I kind of want opinions on. 1. My nursing teacher this year is new because our old teacher left because of the school time change. We DEEPLY respect our old teacher, and so I suppose to us, she has really big shoes to fill. But the thing is that it always seems like she hates us. And I'm not exaggerating. She's consistently threatening us to kick us out of the program just because we got into the subject and sidetracked a little. And another thing is that I'm Asian, and I couldn't go to a clinical day that WAS NOT required according to the syllabus. I explained to her the day before why I couldn't go, I had to take care of my brother and sister (10 and 9) . The next day,she called me out in the middle of class and took me aside after class to tell me, "You know what they say, a rotten apple ruins the tree. And Did you ever go to classes in CHINA?!" I took offense to that. But being the person I am, I let it go. But she is still threatening us, and taking the WHOLE ENTIRE class period just to lecture us, and later she would complain about how we never have time. 2. So we switch into our Allied Health class and this teacher has been with us for the last 3 years.And she's pretty nice. I suppose its the stress because we have competitions in 3 weeks. But there's a limit to how it should be handled. We had a meeting after school yesterday, and all students were required to attend. Well, some couldn't make it. Work, siblings, etc. But I did go. But I wasn't feeling well so I went to get something to eat really quick. I came back but the meeting had started. There isn't a specific time for the meeting to start so I thought I had some time. I guess not, I was only 2 minutes late, and missed my name being called. THAT'S IT. That's all I missed. I was going to apologize for being late but she did a 360 and started yelling at me. I tried to explain myself, but she just literally FORCED words into my mouth. This is how the conversation went between me and her the next day.. Teacher: "(my name), did you go to the meeting?" Me : "Yes, I did, but I was tardy(idk why I said tardy)." T: "Well, you missed the meeting." M: "No I didn't. I was there. I only missed my name being called. " T: "YOU MISSED THE MEETING." M: "But Miss, I only....." T: "No, You missed the meeting. ......(My name) You missed the meeting, didnt you?" Me: (I'm really really frustrated at this point.) ...Yes Miss. I missed the meeting. T : "Now, I want a note from your parents saying why you were late to the meeting" Me: ".......(walk away)" T: "(Talking to the nursing teacher)...I feel like I'm playing Judge Judy today. " And the other teacher's laughs. I'm respectful enough to just blow it off, where other students are trying to defend themselves. So what should I do? I told my parents, but they really don't give a shit. They actually send, I agree. Sorry about my dramatic-ness. xD; I'm just really pissed off. I have almost everyone behind me on this. Even the people i hate. But we dont want to get kicked out so yeahh.
Etiquette - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
talk to the councelor or principal of your school. try to talk to the teacher and tell her how badly you feel she treats u. or............. tell your parents and have them talk to her
2 :
ouchie o-o'' that's one heck of a problem,and kind of dramatic e_o but in my opinion, it not just the teacher. ur old teacher left event causes u too hate the teacher double time's and have the feeling of uhh sooo wut my answer... BEAT HER UPP JK JK i can understand wut is ur pain, but there are many school in the world where students get beaten up just cuz their homework is not done..fortunately they get through or some lucky like me goes off somewhere better then that school for now keep it cool, do u believe in god? pray anything u want to him/her.like i want her to get killed or plzzz make her beg in front of me or just simple let me get through this situation wait that's now a good answer T_T'' i was saying just keep it cool be patient, get a calender of when is the high school gonna end if she keeps u away from talking say nicely and gently plz let me finish if she still doesnt let u then raise ur voice a little then act like ur still innocent i hope it helps (might not cuz I'm stupid )
3 :
In this day of technology I would start to record my classes. The teacher doesn't have to know that she is being recorded. Then just kindly take the recording to the principle and file a grievance against your teacher. You need to speak up a little more, the only reason they talk to you like that is because you let them. There are some tactful ways to deal with teachers. You're a senior now you're almost (if not already) an adult, you need to start standing your ground. Good luck to you.
4 :
Talk to your counselor or Principal about this. Your teacher was being disrespectful even more when she humiliated you in front of the other teachers and was making a joke out of it. I have lots of incident in school and I gotta say it takes more guts to walk away then it does to start something. You did do the right thing and I believe if you do go to someone about this that you will not get in trouble nice job blowing it off it was hard, but in the long run it paid off.
5 :
Tell her next time it happens again "I don't think it's fair you put words into my mouth" If you don't believe you did anything wrong, you have to fight til the end for what you believe in. Talk to the school principal or whoever has the authority about this teacher's behavior. Do you have people in the class who will back you up, or are they all too chicken to do so? What she said about you was extremely discriminating. I'm an asian too, and you can be sure if I was there, I'd unleash hell.


 Read more discussion :