Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What major/course should I take in university

What major/course should I take in university?
I'm in Junior high, going to my senior year (last year) and I really don't know what course/major to pick in college/university. My dream is to become an actress in big movies (no, i'm not a greedy celebrity wannabe, I really really admire people who work on the media, and I always wanted to know what it feels like to be in big budget movies, and to work with great directors, actors and editors, work as an actress professionally and seriously, because that's all I ever wanted and dreamed of). Since I was a kid I always wanted to be an actress or a singer, because I love singing. But where I live in is no place for actors or musicians to be. I live in China. And people here have only goals to become doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, all regular jobs that for me are not really what I consider FOR me. I tried out to be a singer for several bands but failed to enter due to teenage issues. But that's ok. I always joined drama classes, and every time they are over, I always find a way to be in drama courses/classes because I always loved that. I tried out for a drama club/performing arts that were suppose to do a TV series, but failed, so right now they do performing arts shows with different styles and varieties. I went to their casting but failed to enter. It's ok, I kept fighting. The director of the group made her own workshops and I went to her workshops because no matter if I failed or anything I still believe in myself. And she saw what I was capable of, and she got me to join her official performing arts group. Sure people there got great moves and stuff (because after all this group is more about dancing expressively) and she normally puts me as a singer in her shows. In acting, there was never much chance since she focuses on shows based on performing arts (like I said expressive dance) which I also like, but not as much as acting). So what I mean is, I try to get as much experience as possible, but I also got the issue of not many people focusing on being in Hollywood (because for everyone here that's just a teenage dream, and not a real job) but what if I feel like I can make it? I already gave up many times, but what if giving up isn't the right thing, and what if I got it? Right now my family doesn't have enough money to afford for me to go to a drama school/college in Hollywood, because I live in China (which I totally hate) so my plan is to get a major/course that could get me a good job that would support me as back up if my dream to become an actress is a fail. I really don't know what to do. I'm studying biology, physics and chemistry but it's all too hard for me because I have know interest for this. My mom wanted me to be a nurse but I don't want to. So she said I could do anything I want but it has to be a "real" job. I want to be an actress, whether this is a job or not, it's what I want. Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time. What should I do? My goal is to get a good job, like I said, to support my life if all else fails, and I wanted to go live in LA, California ( I've only been to the states ONCE for holidays and it was great, never felt like home!) and so what should I do? Any advice?
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Very few people are successful as actresses, and Hollywood is full of wanna-be actors and actresses who live on the street in cardboard boxes and eat old dumplings and fish heads from the garbage. Your first duty as an adult is to avoid being a parasite. Your mother is right รข€” this means getting a good college education in some marketable filed (or apprenticing to some useful trade). Nursing is actually very good and is very portable around the world. When your education is finished, THEN you can think about being an actress.
2 :
maybe a double major in business management and theatre arts ? at lest you can open your own business if things dont work out with acting


 Read more discussion :